The Arizona Board of Regents is committed to ensuring access for qualified residents of Arizona to undergraduate and graduate instruction; promoting the discovery, application, and dissemination of new knowledge; extending the benefits of university activities to Arizona's citizens outside the university; and maximizing the benefits derived from the state's investment in education.
TEMPE, Ariz. – The Arizona Board of Regents today announced the appointment of a 23-member search committee that will assist the board in conducting a national search for a new president of the University of Arizona.
The following individuals have been appointed to the UA Presidential Search Committee:
- Regent Dennis DeConcini, co-chair
- Regent Rick Myers, co-chair
- Edie Auslander, former regent; former vice president and senior associate to the president, UA
- James Allen, UA student body president
- Melinda Burke, UA Alumni Association president and executive director
- J.C. Mutchler, associate professor and history program director, UA South
- Andy Groseta, president, Arizona Cattle Growers' Association
- Karl Eller, president & CEO, The Eller Company; UA alumnus
- Angela Gomez, president of the UA Staff Advisory Council Executive Board
- Leslie Tolbert, vice president for research, graduate studies and economic development, UA
- Gary Jones, president, Arizona Earth Works; Science Foundation Arizona board member
- Ned Norris, Jr., chairman, Tohono O'odham Nation
- Glenn P. Howell, Pima Community College athletics, assistant football coach strength and conditioning
- John Paul Jones III, dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, UA
- Gov. Jan Brewer (ex-officio member of ABOR)
- Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal (ex-officio member of ABOR)
- Regent Ernest Calderón
- Regent Mark Killian
- Regent Bob McLendon
- Regent LuAnn Leonard
- Regent Anne Mariucci
- Regent William Holmes
- Regent Tyler Bowyer
"Each member of this committee has a deep connection to the University of Arizona and represents a key constituent group that will provide valuable input on the search process," said DeConcini. "We appreciate the willingness of these appointees to help select the next president of the UA."
The Board of Regents is developing a draft list of leadership characteristics it is seeking the new UA president to embody.
"We are seeking a consummate leader, educator and administrator," said Myers. "The next president of the UA should be a visionary who possesses the leadership skills necessary to guide a major, public research university in providing a high-quality learning environment, to advance its ambitious research goals and agenda, to provide business skills necessary to manage responsibly through difficult fiscal times, and to leverage the university to make a major positive difference in the state."
Myers added the committee is seeking an individual “who will build on the strong foundation the UA has established and act as an innovative change agent to make the university even stronger, bring new ideas to the table and work collaboratively with our state leaders to help deal with the challenges we face.”
The Board of Regents launched a website dedicated to the UA presidential search where members of the public can find up-to-date information on the search.
Members of the public also can send questions or comments on the search to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The search committee will meet regularly beginning in mid-August.
An advisory council to the search committee soon will be announced that will assist with soliciting additional public input on the search through forums and other public outreach efforts. The council will also assist with interviewing finalists. The entire search process is expected to take up to a year.