Leading up to the UA's 100th Homecoming, we are highlighting UA alumni who are being honored by their colleges with alumni of the year awards.
David Hutchens is president and CEO of UniSource Energy Corporation, the parent company of Tucson Electric Power. Since joining UNS Energy in 1995, he has held various management positions, including vice president of energy efficiency and resource planning, vice president of wholesale energy and vice president of UNS Gas.
Photo courtesy of David Hutchens
Hutchens is a longtime supporter of the UA and is active in the Tucson community. He serves on the UA College of Engineering's Industry Partner Board, and he has supported partnerships in renewable energy between the UA and Tucson Electric Power.
Under his leadership, TEP has supported more than $1 million in solar energy research, much of it through the UA's AzRISE program. Hutchens also has increased TEP's support for student programs.
Hutchens also has served on the Southern Arizona Leadership Council, TREO board of directors and 88-CRIME board, along with many other local organizations.
Hutchens graduated from the UA with a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering and an M.B.A. with an emphasis in finance. He is being honored with the UA College of Engineering's Alumnus of the Year award.
Other UA alumni being honored are
- Architecture Alumnus of the Year: James Edward Richärd
- Agriculture Alumnus of the Year: P. Andrew 'Andy' Groseta
- Education Alumna of the Year: Colleen Niccum
- Eller Alumna of the Year: Sarah Brown Smallhouse
- Fine Arts Alumnus of the Year: Jeffrey Haskell
- Honors College Alumnus of the Year: Nick T. Spark
- Humanities Alumnus of the Year: Eric Scott Baker
- Medicine Alumna of the Year: Adele Marie O'Sullivan
- Nursing Alumnus of the Year: Rudy Valenzuela
- Optical Sciences Alumnus of the Year: Jacobus "Jim" Oschmann
- Pharmacy Alumnus of the Year: Kevin Boesen
- SBS Alumna of the Year: Melody S. Robidoux
- Science Alumnus of the Year: Kenneth Krane