Research Bazaar 2017
Introducing Research Bazaar, or #ResBazAZ for short, a worldwide festival promoting the digital literacy emerging at the center of modern research. Research Bazaar started two years ago in Melbourne, Australia and has gone global. This year it comes to UA for the first time! The event aims to equip researchers from all career stages with the digital skills and tools required to do their research better, faster and smarter. Think unconference coupled with highly useful workshops to increase your skill set exponentially.
Friday is principally designed to get to know one another and create affinity groups in "unconference" style. In other words, talk to people, discover opportunities to learn from one another, spontaneously work on projects, bring your questions to look for answers and crowd source solutions. Never been to an unconference before?
- 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Welcome and Lightning Talks (stage at the UA Mall) Participants will introduce themselves through short lightning talks about what they research, their skillset, what they want to know, questions they have. The only requirement is that you keep it under 10 minutes and your talk somehow relates to the general themes of digital literacy and modern research.
- Throw up your ideas for pop-up sessions. Want to talk about data visualization? Python? GIS? Social Media? GitHub? We will have a central place to coordinate and facilitate your groups meeting among tents on the mall. You can get started early by adding your ideas now.
- 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.: Unconference style meetups. Feel free to gather in the tents, go as a group to lunch or propose a dedicated workshop for Saturday.
- 4 p.m.: Unsponsored happy hour. Continue the party at Pasco with the ResBaz AZ coordinators.
Saturday (Science-Engineering Library)
- 9 a.m.: Join us for a welcoming keynote at the Science-Engineering Library to start the day. Coffee and light refreshments will be served!
- Workshops begin at 10 a.m. in both the Main Library and Science-Engineering Library. Topics include R-Studio, Graph Databases, Advanced git, Storymaps and ArcGIS, Virtual Reality, Stream Processing, Drones, 3-D Modeling and more! The Unconference continues in the Collaborative Classroom of Science-Engineering all day. Continue the conversations, meet new people, work on projects.
Sponsors: CyVerse, the BIO5 Institute and the University of Arizona Libraries.