When the University of Arizona was established as a Land Grant Institute in 1891, James Toumey, a botanist for the Agricultural Experiment Station on campus, recognized the educational value of the native vegetation that evolved in the Sonoran Desert over tens of thousands of years. As such, he started a cactus display garden that, eventually became what we now know as the Joseph Wood Krutch (pronounced KROOCH) Garden. In the 120 years since the genesis of the University and its cactus garden, the University's practices have advanced to reflect current and evolving understandings of and attitudes toward landscaping and the natural environment.
Join the Campus Arboretum docents for this free tour to learn more about the ecology and ethnobotany of many Sonoran native plants.
To RSVP, call (520) 621-7074 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.