From its humble beginning in 1915, the University of Arizona School of Anthropology — then called the Department of Archaeology — has grown to be one of the top anthropology programs in the country, consistently ranked in the top five.
One of the oldest and most prestigious units on campus, the School of Anthropology has over the years given birth to the UA Press, the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, the Department of Geosciences, the Department of American Indian Studies, the Southwest Center and other units.
To commemorate the beginning of the UA's first semester on Sept. 15, 1915, members of the campus and general communities are invited to attend a Sept. 15 ceremony, to be held from 4-7 p.m. in the Student Union Memorial Center. RSVPs are being accepted online. During the commemorative event, the school's history and the accomplishments of its faculty, students and alumni will be shared and celebrated.
For a full history of the School of Anthropology, visit http://anthropology.arizona.edu/content/history-beginning. That history and many of the photo captions presented here are adapted from Raymond H. Thompson's article "Anthropology at the University of Arizona, 1893-2005," published in the Journal of the Southwest in 2005.