For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona swimming and diving, visit ArizonaWildcats.com.
Two Olympic athletes with University of Arizona ties have won gold and silver medals.
Tucson resident Matt Grevers took gold, and former Arizona All-American Nick Thoman won silver in the men’s 100-meter backstroke at the London Olympics on July 30.
Grevers, who broke an Olympic record with a time of 52.16 seconds, earned his fifth career Olympic medal. Grevers broke the previous Olympic record set by American Aaron Peirsol in 2008. Before Monday, he had two gold and one silver as a member of relays, including Sunday night's 4x100-meter freestyle relay, and a silver medal in the 100 backstroke from Beijing.
Grevers has trained at the UA's Hillenbrand Aquatic Center since 2008.
Thoman earned the silver medal after finishing with a time of 52.92. A five-time All-American at Arizona, Thoman was a part of UA’s 2006 National Championship winning 400-meter medley relay team.
Thoman’s effort means that UA athletes have won at least one medal in every Olympiad dating back to 1968.
Olympic competitions continue on July 31:
- Men’s Swimming (Nilo-Oliveira/Shapira Bar-Or): 100-meter freestyle preliminaries, 2 a.m.
- Men’s Swimming (Burkle): 200-meter breaststroke preliminaries, 2:47 a.m.
- Men’s Swimming (Basson/Townsend): 4x200-meter freestyle relay preliminaries, 3:17 a.m.
- Men’s Basketball (Javtokas): Lithuania vs. Nigeria, 6:30 a.m.
- Women’s Soccer (Montoya): Colombia vs. France, 9 a.m.
- Men’s Swimming (Nilo-Oliveira/Shapira Bar-Or): 100-meter freestyle semifinals, 11:30 a.m.
- Men’s Swimming (Burkle): 200-meter breaststroke semifinals, 12:17 p.m.
- Men’s Swimming (Basson/Townsend): 4x200-meter freestyle relay Olympic final, 12:47 p.m.
- Men’s Basketball (Iguodala): United States vs. Tunisia, 2:15 p.m