The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit is planning to have a special court hearing at The University of Arizona to hear half a dozen cases.
The hearing will be held March 6 with oral arguments set to begin at 10 a.m. The hearing will be held in Room 146 of the James E. Rogers College of Law, which is located at 1201 East Speedway Blvd.
A photo identification is required for everyone who intends to attend the hearing, which is free and open to the public.
A three-judge panel will hear six appeals for the San Francisco-based court for decisions that were made by U.S. districts courts in Arizona, California and the federal Board of Immigration Appeals.
The panel includes Marsha S. Berzon of San Francisco, Michael Daly Hawkins of Phoenix and Richard R. Clifton of Honolulu – all circuit judges.
The cases, according to a press release issued by the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, are:
- Cinapian v. Mukasey: Several natives and citizens of both Armenia and Iran are appealing a decision by the Board of Immigration Appeals seeking asylum, withholding of removal as well as protection under the Convention Against Torture. "Petitioners asserted past persecution and fear of future persecution in Iran on account of their Christian religion," the release noted.
- Larin-Delgado v. Mukasey: Oscar Larin-Delgado, a native and citizen of El Salvador, is requesting an appeal of a Board of Immigration Appeals decision. Larin-Delgado "asserted fear of persecution by the Salvadoran government and gang members in El Salvador in account of his own Mara Salvatrucha gang tattoos," the release noted.
- Ramirez v. Glendale Union High: Joe and Ana Ramirez, parents and legal guardians of Jose Ramirez, appeal the decision made by the Arizona district court. The Ramirez family had filed an action against Glendale Union High School District contending that their son was physically and sexually assaulted while attending two of the district's schools, the release noted.
- McCormick v. U.S.: Becky McCormick, as daughter and personal representative of the late Florence Morlock, is appealing a decision made by the Arizona district court. McCormick attests that her mother's "wrongful death" is the result of actions taking by a medical treatment facility.
- Sternberg v. Johnston: Melvin Sternberg and Sternberg & Singer Ltd. are appealing the Arizona district court's affirmation of the Arizona bankruptcy court's judgment in the case. The court had found that Sternberg violated the automatic bankruptcy stay, the release noted.
- EEOC v. The Boeing Company: The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is appealing a decision by the Arizona district court. The EEOC is alledging sex discrimination and retaliation on behalf of two individuals.
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals hears appeals of cases that have been decided by federal agencies and federal trial courts in nine western states and two Pacific Island jurisdictions.
Typically, the court will meet each month in Seattle, San Francisco and in Pasadena, Calif. The court also meets each other month in Portland, twice each year in Honolulu and once annually in Anchorage.