Each year, the University of Arizona Homecoming celebration brings more than 45,000 Wildcat fans to campus to honor tradition, scholarship and camaraderie.
Among the 60-plus events set to begin Nov. 3 are the parade, the bonfire, the announcement of the queen and king, the Hall of Fame induction, the Collegiate and Campus Showcase, tents on the UA Mall and the inaugural Pac-12 football matchup between the UA and the University of Utah, which begins at 4 p.m. on Nov. 5 in Arizona Stadium.
The UA's Homecoming celebration is presented by the UA Alumni Association. With the theme "Red, Blue and Bold," Homecoming promises to keep the focus on excellence.
Thursday, Nov. 3
- Class of 1961 Reunion Celebration and Reception – Alumni from the Class of 1961 will catch up with friends and classmates at their 50-year reunion celebration from 6-8 p.m. at the Marriott University Park Hotel, 880 E. Second St.
Friday, Nov. 4
- Second Annual Collegiate and Campus Showcase – Experience renowned faculty and staff presentations on issues ranging from social media and cyberbullying to the environment and securing the nation's borders. Lectures will be held at various locations around the campus on Nov. 4 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. All presentations are free and open to the public.
- Student Showcase – Learn more about UA student research and innovation at this exhibition of undergraduate and graduate research in all areas of academic study. Presented annually by the Graduate and Professional Student Council, the showcase begins runs from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. in front of the Main Library on the UA Mall.
- Tour of UA Downtown and Presentation of Downtown Revitalization Efforts at the UA Downtown/Roy Place Building – This two-part tour will start at 9:45 a.m. with a tour of UA Downtown. The tour will showcase Tucson's downtown revitalization efforts from the college alumni, Marilyn Robinson (UA Drachman Institute), Teresa Vasquez (Downtown Tucson Partnership) and Irene Ogata (City of Tucson Urban Planning & Design). The second part of the tour will visit award-winning downtown revitalization projects completed by alumni, including the mixed-use One North Fifth (Rob Paulus, Rob Paulus Architects Ltd.), the soon-to-be-completed LEED-eligible Unisource Tower (Ed Marley, Swaim Associates) and The Hub (Sonya Sotinsky, FORS Architecture + Interiors). For information, contact Sandra L. Garcia McLean at 520-626-0847 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Meeting place/time: Sundt Gallery, CALA, by 9:40 a.m.
- Alumnus of the Year Awards Ceremony – Celebrate the extraordinary achievements and contributions of alumni in the Student Union Grand Ballroom South from 3-5 p.m. Reservations are required; contact Penny Davis at 520-626-3835 or email@example.com.
- Bear Down Friday and Bonfire and Pep Rally – Join Wilbur, Wilma, cheerleaders and the UA Pep Marching Band at Bear Down Friday in Main Gate Square from 5-7:30 p.m. followed by the bonfire, pep rally and crowning of the king and queen at Old Main from 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 5
- Peter Likins Book Signing – Join UA President Emeritus Peter Likins in the UA Bookstore as he shares his personal family history recounted in his book, "A New American Family." The event is in the lower level of the bookstore from 11 a.m. to noon.
- Tents on the Mall and Homecoming Parade – The fun begins at 10 a.m. with tents on the UA Mall. The parade, at 12:30 p.m., will include Grand Marshall Ron Barber '67, the district director for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and a survivor of the Jan. 8 Tucson shootings. Stop by the Alumni Association tent for entertainment and fun, located at Cherry Avenue and University Boulevard.
- ZonaZoo Tailgate at the end of the UA Mall and Cherry Avenue. Stop by to eat a burger, dance to some music and show off your Wildcat spirit. Starting four hours prior to kickoff, the party will end when all the food is gone. For information, contact the ZonaZoo crew at 520-626-8227 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Game Day Grill and Letterwinner Tailgate – There is no better place to get ready for the game than at the Game Day Grill. Located on Bear Down Field, it is the ultimate pre-game party. Doors open three hours prior to kickoff. Tickets are $20 per person and based upon availability. To purchase tickets, call the McKale Ticket Office at 621-CATS (2287). For more information, contact Roberta Quiroz at 520-621-2331 or email@example.com.
- Homecoming Football Game – UA vs. Utah. Game time is 4 p.m.